Common Causes and Symptoms of Piles
Piles are a common health condition that millions of people suffer from worldwide. They are swollen venous cushions that occur in the anus or rectum causing major discomfort and pain, even bleeding on some occasions. In this article, we are going to discuss some of the major causes and symptoms of piles.
What are the Causes of Piles?
Piles can develop for a number of reasons among which are the following:
- Sitting for extended periods- Being in a sitting position for a longer period of time can lead to the development of piles.
- Constipation- Many people are afflicted with the problem of chronic constipation. This is a primary cause of piles. When you strain to pass stools, it puts more pressure on the anal venous cushions which causes them to get prolapsed.
- Aging- Piles are very common among aged people, even though young people and children can also have them.
- Obesity- Being overweight is another cause of piles as being obese puts pressure on the veins in the anus.
- Pregnancy- Since during pregnancy, pregnant women have increased pressure on their pelvic area and hormonal change, they are prone to develop hemorrhoids.
- Diet- Consumption of low-fiber foods can also cause hemorrhoids.
- Genetics- There are some people who are more prone to developing hemorrhoids because of their genetic makeup.
- Anal intercourse- Having anal intercourse can lead to developing new piles or aggravate the existing ones.
- Diarrhea- One may suffer from piles after one goes through chronic diarrhea.
- Heavy lifting- Piles can also develop due to constantly lifting heavy objects.
What are the Symptoms of Piles?
In many cases, the symptoms of hemorrhoids are not that serious as they may go away on their own. Some of the symptoms that an individual with piles can experience are as follows:-
- Discomfort, pain, and soreness- Piles can cause discomfort and pain, especially when sitting for an extended period of time or during the passing of stools.
- Irritation and itching- Hemorrhoids can also lead to itching and irritation around the anus which can be very uncomfortable and distressing.
- Lumps or bumps- The piles can grow into lumps or bumps around the anus, which may or may not be painful depending on their location.
- Severe bleeding- Bleeding during bowel movement is one of the most common symptoms of piles. Bright red blood can be visible during a bowel movement or on toilet paper after the deed.
- Inflammation or swelling- Hemorrhoids can lead to major swelling and inflammation. This makes it extremely difficult for an individual to sit or move around comfortably.
- Fecal incontinence- Another symptom of hemorrhoids is the inability to control bowel movements.
Treatment for Piles
Piles are a very common health condition that can be caused by several factors as mentioned above. There are a few effective ways through which piles can be treated. These involve numerous proven and time-tested home remedies, taking timely medications, or in severe cases getting surgery done. If you experience any of the symptoms of piles, it is recommended to get medical attention from Beelive’s highly experienced Proctologist Dr. Arnab Ray who has a high success rate in anorectal surgeries.
Find this article helpful? For more such valuable content visit: Ayurvedic Clinic in Kolkata